To quit smoking we need more than willpower. It is a complete process. As published on the US Health System at Published Oct 1st, 2018
Anyone who is using nicotine products of any type should quit for their own health, it does not depend on the addict’s health, no matter how bad or good their health is now.
Said Dr. Thomas Leytham, a physician and former medical director of the US Air Force smoking cessation program.
He explains that if your health is better now, your chances of maintaining good health will be high if you quit smoking now.
Tips to Stop Smoking
DR.Leytham has given some tips to break out of the habit, such as
- The first thing to do is cut back as much as you can, the best idea that most of my patients love is putting some money in your wallet.
- The less you use is better, when we talk about nicotine usage, he said. In terms of all virtual health problems, And it is true, 10 cigarettes per day are better than 20 cigarettes and 2 cigarettes are better than 5 cigarettes a day,
- Make a good plan to quit smoking eventually which is better than quit instantly.
- Give up all of your morning time cigarettes firstly, which will help to stop smoking later in the day
- After getting control of yourself by stopping smoking eventually, start a second step to begin working on a completely quit smoking plan.
- If someone uses nicotine for a prolonged period of time on a daily basis, he can not switch over to be a casual user
- Stop smoking in front of family members
- Do not smoke in public places even if it is not prohibited
- Doesn’t consider smoking as a status symbol
- Try to avoid meeting friends who smoke too much
- Start a daily exercise plan or join a gym, which will not only help you quit smoking, but will also keep you in shape.
- Most smokers gain weight while quitting, so starting a good diet plan, such as a ketogenic diet plan, is a good idea to shed excess fat and weight that you will gain when you quit smoking.
What happens if you smoke for longer than a year?
If you use nicotine products like tobacco for a year or more than a year, it permanently alters the receptors in the brain that are associated with nicotine, according to Dr. Letham.
People who are using tobacco think they can use it on a casual or irregular basis if they become a daily user but the possibility of this is very rare and extremely remote.
This shows that if you have not used tobacco or nicotine products for a while, a day, a week, and even a month, the receptors in the brain will more tightly bind with nicotine when next time you use it.
Which increases the carving for another and heightens the effect, he said.
Your body has the ability to create any kind of receptors rapidly which it needs, so when you start smoking again after a period it produces more receptors that make it very difficult to smoke only on an irregular or casual basis.
What is The Psychology of Smoking?
According to Dr. Leytham, sizes typically last for months and sometimes last for more than a year after quitting.
If you are committed to quitting then giving in to the desire for a cigarette when you have quit daily smoking is very extremely risky.
If you have successfully given up daily nicotine use, you should never look back again – even at funerals, a wedding, or a high school reunion, you must say no or you will risk starting over again.
Replacing a habit is easier than quitting, Dr. Leytham emphasizes. Better to buy gum or stretch, walk, or take music breaks rather than smoke.
Do whatever you do but must do to change your smoking habit should be worth the effort.
Some people found prescription medications and nicotine patches very helpful in their transition from smoker to non-smoker status.
It depends on yourself. said Dr. just uses these things properly but do not use products containing nicotine if you already quit smoking for a full 72 hours period.