The most common musculoskeletal problems and complaints come to the doctors is Knee pain. Knee problems are increasing due to the increasingly active society of today. There are different and various treatments and causes of knee pain.
Anatomy of the Knee
The main function of the knee is bending, bear the body weight, and straighten the body along with hips and ankles. It is not a simple hinged joint, it rotates and twists. Which support the whole functions of body movement. The structure of the knee is contained in ligaments, tendons, cartilage, and bones.
- Ligaments connect bones with each other.
- They are dense bands of fiber
- There are four types of important ligaments that attach to the tibia through the femur.
- PCL and ACL (anterior cruciate ligament and posterior cruciate ligament) gives stability and front and back rotational stability
- LCL and MCL ( lateral collateral ligament and medial collateral ligament) are located in the medial and lateral sides the provide the knee lateral and medial stability.
- Thes are ligaments type band of fiber
- These fibers connect muscles to the bone instead of connecting bones as ligaments do.
- The patellar tendon that ascribes the patella to the tibia really is a ligament because two bones are bounded with it and that the patella
- quadriceps tendon connecting the quadriceps and tissue, which lies on the front of the thigh,
- There are four bones in the knee joint
- Femur comprises or thigh bone is on the top of joint
- One other bone located in the calf area or lower leg area, the bottom weight-bearing part is provided by the tibia in the knee joints.
- Patella which also called the knee cap is located in the front of the joint and femur.
- Other bones in the fibula, calf are not for weight-bearing they provide stability to the ligament attachments.
- The quadriceps and patellar ligaments are occasionally summoned the extensor mechanism, and contemporaneously with the quadriceps network, they promote leg expansion(straightening).
- It is fluid-filled sacs that helo to move the knee and give it a cushion. there are three groups of the important bursa in the knee
- The prepatellar bursae located at the patella front.
- The infrapatellar is lies under the patella
- The pes anserine lies in the inner area of the knee about two inches away from the knee
- The chief purpose of the cartilage is to help the knee bend and giving it a more solid cushion.
- Menisci are a structure of cartilaginous, meniscus is the singular form of menisci. It locates on the top of the tibia and between the tibia. Knuckles contain two femora called femoral condyles.
What are The Causes of Knee Pain
The causes of knee pain include different kind of injuries and diseases such as
- Type 2 diabetes
- Cardiovascular disease
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Septic arthritis
- Loose body
- Iliotibial band syndrome.
- Dislocated kneecap.Hip or foot pain.
- ACL injury.
- Torn meniscus
- Knee bursitis
- Patellar tendinitis inflammation